View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ProFootballFocus FA safety ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Still, you're comparing two players because their both classified as "Safeties" & they go about playing the game totally different. Quin plays like a SS (I don't know it he's listed as a SS, but that's what he plays) & Byrd is a FS.

If you're a team that favors the SS (like the Texans in the past) then you're going to rank Quin higher than Byrd. If you're a team that favors FS, then you'll rank Byrd higher.

Manning is also a "good" cover safety who plays physical, but I don't think he would be as good as Quin playing in the box as much as Quin does, manning up as much as Quin does. I'd prefer if Manning was allowed to roam in deep space, which I think he is much better at.
Understood!

I'm not comparing any guy though; that was just a list showing how PFF grade those players according to what they think those players were supposed to do their job (whatever that job might be.)

We just don't know if Manning and Byrd can do the same job Quin does better or worse because they weren't asked to do it as often. We can't say one way or another; and with Quin not doing that job very well (not great, not badly), who is to say the other guys can't do it?

It looks like Pollard, in 3 or 4 games that I watched him play last year, did a better job than Quin. (Maybe he finally learns how to do it; maybe the Ravens had a better scheme; maybe they do a better job teaching; heck I don't know.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote