View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013   #64
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Franchise deadline almost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We'll agree to disagree on Winston. Our run game & passing game is just as good as it was with Winston. We had a three game skid at the end of the season & "everybody" is still emotional over that. Most don't remember we had multiple 3 game skids in previous seasons.

Factor in that Newton is younger with room to grow (improve), not making starter money..... I'd pick Newton in a heartbeat. I was very impressed with him before he got hurt, which just happens to coincide with when the offense started to struggle.

I'd be upset if two years from now we "have to" overpay Manning (again) because we don't have a good safety. This year, he should be primed for restructuring to lower his cap number, or an outright paycut (which I don't think they would do).

Imagine 2015 we're back to pre-Quin/Manning safety play.
Im having a hard time believing you actually watched a game this past season if you can say that w/ a straight face. The run game was hardly the same as the Texans seemed reluctant to run to the right & when they did it normally didn't result in results that we were accustomed to in the past. The right side run blocking didn't pick up until the end of the season & even then when important yards were needed they normally ran it to the left.

The pass blocking wasn't nearly as efficient either. Im almost positive that I've seen you use the right side & specifically Newton as an excuse to defend Schaub's poor play. I don't recall Winston being used a Schaub's scapegoat in the past so how was the pass blocking just as good if you feel the need to blame the RT for the qb's shortcomings...doesn't quite add up. Is it the RT the problem or not or is it whatever fits the occasion? I believe it's a combination of poor qb & RT play to be honest, but Newton is young & has time to get better. I'm not sure the same can be said about the qb, but that's for another thread. Either way, we will agree to disagree because Newton is not on Winston's level just yet.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote