View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013   #58
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Franchise deadline almost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If I remember right, we were paying Winston $5M/yr. I didn't think he was worth it. I don't think he is worth it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs manage to acquire Joekel, & replace Winston.

I don't understand how we're going to say Winston played well in KC, because Jamaal Charles (from Port Arthur, Texas) ran for 85 more yards than Arian did. Or that the Chiefs gave up 40 sacks & we gave up 28. & that's with Newton (a first time starter) playing next to a rookie. But he's not in Winston's class? I admit I didn't watch Winston in KC, but I know how he played.

Winston was what? A 6th year player & most likely led the team in false starts. He's a fine pass protecter when going against your powerful strongside DEs (like a Mario Williams) but against a quicker, Freeny type, or a quick/explosive guy like Clay Matthews, he's like a wet paper sack. On the playside of a run..... I don't know there's a better tackle save maybe DBrown76. On the backside, lots of room for improvement. He didn't flat out suck.. but nowhere near where he should be.

We had/have cap issues, because we paid players more than we should have. We should have parted ways with Winston after 2010. We should not have franchised Dunta. Antonio Smith, imo, only started earning his money since Wade got here. Wade Smith... great first season, but the last couple... way over paid. & yeah.... $16M+ or whatever we paid Mario in 2011. Not very bright.
If I recall correctly Winston was making roughly $5M, which is what was used to sign Myers once Winston was cut.

As far as how Winston performed this past season, I havent read anything that said he didn't play well this season. You mention Charles' accomplishments which says a lot when you consider they had slim to no passing attack w/ a mediocre qb & yet Charles & the o-line still had success. You mention the sack total, but that is hardly a true reflection of how well Winston performed on an individual level. That total sack number could easily be because of the other o-lineman or poor qb play as most of us know since Carr was one of the biggest culprits in taking sacks that he didn't need to take. Regardless, Winston may have not been one of the best, but he wasn't necessarily being paid like one either. As it stands, most could easily say Winston is the better option compared to Newton. That could change in the future.

Couldn't agree more on some of Smith's questionable moves & to be honest he isn't doing much this offseason to change my mind. I personally will be highly upset if this team allows a quality player such as Quin walk away & Walter remains. Walter's $3.5M could easily offset what Quin could end up making & Quin has quite a bit more to offer this team in terms of ability & youth IMO. Keeping an overpaid underperforming wr while letting youth & potential walk away would show Smith's incompetence yet again IMO. We will see...
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote