View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013   #54
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Franchise deadline almost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Those players lost last season obviously meant more to the team then many believed & we learned that the hard way as those positions struggled & now many feel they are needs. I understand that Winston & Ryans were let go because of salary cap issues, but once again those issues were Smith's doing & are still hurting this team w/ the loss of key players & the potential loss of more.

I hope you are right concerning Quin & how Smith views & values him, but I truly have my doubts in what Smith is capable of. Time will tell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I disagree on the production going downhill concerning Ryans. His production decline early in 2011 was because he was still recovering IMO. His production picked towards the end of the season & that was acknowledged by Kubiak as well as others. Assuming Ryans production wasn't going to be effected to some degree 1 year removed from an Achilles injury in pure foolishness IMO. Holding that against him is hardly fair or an accurate judgement of Ryans abilities. Ryans rebounded very well this season & looked like his old self & it seems the new regime in Philly feel Ryans is very much capable of playing in the 3-4. I tend to believe them. The myth that Ryans wasn't suited for the 3-4 was generated by most of the same folks that foolishly assumed that James could easily replace him. I think they were obviously wrong on James as a replacement & will ultimately be wrong on what Ryans is capable of in a 3-4 scheme. Ryans was making too much for only being a 2 down LB, but that's what happens when a player starts next to the likes of Cushing in Wade's scheme. The better player stays on the field, but Ryans is still very good in his own right & claiming his production is down seems to be completely false considering his production just this past season. The numbers speak for themselves.

As far as Winston, his production may have been slipping some as a Texan but he too performed well for is new team as it seems the Texans misjudged the talent level of Butler & Newton. I admit I thought Butler could possibly fill the void, but that didn't happen & I was wrong just as they were. Once again the salary cap is a beast that was created by Smith & he has yet to tame it & it is costing the Texans quality players in the process.

I do agree that Winston & Ryans may have needed to go because of salary cap numbers, but not because of their production. They are both still quality players that are better then what we currently have at their positions & money was the reason they are no longer here & that is easily proven w/ the production this past season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Injuries hurt us, not the loss of Ryans at the ILB position. As far as Winston he was a better run blocker, but think we broke even on the pass blocking. Longer term we'll be ok without that much tied up into a RT position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
You act like there was an option for keeping everyone, you make judgements on what you've seen and what you think you can lose. The OL and LB cores were one of the strenghts of the team so if you had to lose something you could lose a bit there and then pick up.

Did I hate to lose Ryans, absolutely he was my favorite Texan, but I understood that his what 6.6 or so million dollary contract was a lot for us to cover, along with another 5.5 or so from Eric Winston. I personally would have liked to keep both but the numbers just didn't work.

Simply denying the fact we had salary cap issues, makes me call your judgement into question, it's not fantasy land we can't have it all. We are making tough decisions and it just didn't quite work out for us, will it this year? I dunno we still have Matt to get sorted out
Read my past posts carefully & you will see I am well aware of the fact that the salary cap was an issue & the reason why I felt Winston & Ryans were moved. I'm not in denial about that fact despite you overlooking what I've have stated. You can also see that I laid that blame squarely at the feet of Rick Smith because he created the cap nightmare & continues to lose quality players in the process. I understand you can't keep them all, but we are having issues just keeping a few to be frank. Im not too impressed w/ the job he has done & depleting the o-line & LB position was far from a smart move. Im not sure how you considered those positions a strength at once when outside of the starters there was obviously not much depth to step in & take over for the players lost. That's not much of a strength IMO.

My reply to you stemmed from what seemed to be your denial that Smith's cap management, or mismanagement, was what ultimately lead to the Texans woes & not just injuries as you implied. I too am not sure it will work out this season as it seems we are possibly going to lose yet some more starters & once again it's because of salary cap woes that surely were not helped w/ Smith's decision to re-sign Schaub who just may no be the answer but a problem. Time will tell...
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote