View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013   #7
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Franchise deadline almost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he leaves, I think there's no way you move Reed inside. I don't know of anyone else on the team who can play SLB.....

I am not convinced Mercilus can handle WOLB, but I don't think it does any good to have Barwin "push" him. Barwin is a fine pass rusher, but he's not a double digit sack guy & that's what we need at WOLB.

So regardless what we do with Barwin, we need to find another guy to share the WOLB position with Whitney. Someone who might be a double digit sack guy
Seems you are quick to judge on Mercilus & Barwin. I can't say what either one are completely capable of, but I do know Barwin has registered double digit sacks & registered 4.5, which was half the total of the gentle giants sack total that season, in very limited action as a rookie. Barwin had a down year & didn't earn a big pay day by his own doing, but he has shown potential & has already accomplished double digit sacks which you stated he wasn't capable of...obviously that was wrong.

Mercilus has only had his rookie season & it would've been an uphill battle for him to supplant Reed or Barwin. When he did get in he had some success. I thinks it's a bit premature to assume he isn't capable of holding down an OLB position as starter based on part time duty as a rookie. He's a 2nd yr player now & young players have proven they can produce early in their careers. I'm not quite ready to cast Mercilus off after one season. A rookie could be brought in to start opposite of Mercilus or next to Cushing. I honestly believe LB could be the 1st pick & will possibly be the best available if he is capable of starting at olb or ILB.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote