View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My 3 round mock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I guess I would be somewhat surprised if the Texans draft went like this, although I do agree with the first 3 positions picked. I do think they will try to go WR in in the 1st if Allen or Hopkins are there. I just don't think they would go for Hunter for the reason you stated above; "could be a homerun in a couple years." I think they want someone who will play and produce now and not wait for them to gain weight and learn the route tree. Allen or Hopkins are much more NFL ready.
In my mock Patterson and Allen have already been picked. I agree Hopkins is more pro ready and has a higher floor but Hunter is more athletic and has a higher ceiling. I'm swinging for the homerun here. I don't think it would take him that long to add another 15 lbs. and learn the route tree, he's got all summer, OTA's, private workouts, and training camp. I think by late August/early September he'd have the route tree down and will have added some of the necessary bulk to survive in the NFL. While his routes and productivity might be limited in the first season, like all rookies, by his second season he will have added more weight, completed his route tree, and have a years worth of experience, and his future is very bright. I think Hunter is worth the minimal risk.

As for OG vs. OT in the 3rd, I'd like a guy that can do both but am not thrilled with the 3rd round OT prospects and think there's a better chance of Bailey taken in the 3rd being a future starter than a 3rd round OT. Newton is the future at RT, get used to it. I'm looking for current depth and future starters in the 3rd.

I think Alonso's height/weight ratio, speed, and athleticism makes him some quality depth at both ILB and OLB. Having a guy that can do both offers more versatility and just makes sense.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote