View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Atlanta Releases Dunta, Turner and Abraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You dont cut guy's to save a buck and downgrade ....
Cutting Wade Smith will save us $3M against the cap. Bonus money is already accounted for. I've been wanting to cut Wade. After a poor 2011 & a not much improved 2012, I still support the move.

Also, we must remember that it was not our plan to go into the season with Ben Jones or Derek Newton playing anywhere near the number of snaps they had. I do believe Newton won the job outright in training camp, but I'm also sure when they cut Winston, the plan was to go with Butler & Caldwell. Butler was lost due to injury, turning what should have been a Newton/Butler rotation into a Newton/Harris rotation.

Ben Jones got his job due to injury of Caldwell. I think Jones was playing better than Caldwell & earned more playing time, but as we've seen with all our rookie linemen, consistency was the issue & rotating them was their way of dealing with that consistency. The Texans chose to go with a rotation of Ben Jones & Brandon Brooks instead of Jones & Caldwell which also attributed to the drop off. In my mind, that was because they intend to start both Jones & Brooks in 2013. They accepted some additional drop off in hopes of long term production.

I was very high on Newton from day one. He was already a big upgrade over Winston in pass protection & appeared to start to gel in the run game before his injury. When he & Graham were out of the line up was when our offensive struggles began. When he returned to the line-up we had definitely lost some ground, but was back on track. It appeared to me that his pass protection suffered & he retreated in pass pro much sooner than he should, giving up ground & basically sitting in Schaub's lap. Our passing game was much more hurried since then, rarely providing enough time for deeper passing routes to develop.

I think Kubiak & Schaub overcompensated for Newton, but Harris provided no relief & I'd be surprised if he's signed for another year.

I don't see starting Brandon Brooks at LG as a downgrade.