View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013   #34
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Most of the "analysts" seem to think that Patterson will be the first WR off of the Board based upon his tremendous upside and would be selected well before the Texans 27th pick, but I'm thinkin the Texans wouldn't be interested in him anyway since he's got limited game experience (just 1 year as a starter).
I'm also reading that DeAndre Hopkins is maybe the best WR in terms of his readiness to make a contribution right away as a rookie receiver in the NFL, but he's lacking in long-speed as he failed to crack 4.5 at Indy.
So this brings us to Swope who's stunning 4.34 now makes him a legitimate "burner', and he's got multi years experience as a starter and one year as a starter in the biggest college stage of all, the SEC. He's not real big, but he's got descent size and is known as being durable and physically tough. And I think he could play in the slot or outside as a true WR, so my only question about him and also Hopkins is what kind of blockers are they ? As you know that's important for Kubiak and the Texans in their offense.
So I thinking the Texans may just get about any receiver they want if they make that their top priority and use their 27th pick on one, but if they wait until the second round all bets are off even including Swope's availability.
They are both good blockers from what I've read/heard. Here is what was said about Hopkins at NFL.com:

Quote:
Effective run blocker, usually reaches his target and gets his hands up, uses correct blocking angle to sustain; also shows some nastiness at times, capable of putting his man to the ground. Consistently productive over his time at Clemson, improving his stats each season
This is what they said about Swope at NFL.com:

Quote:
Gives excellent effort blocking downfield and near the line in the run game, using his strength and agility to mirror and sustain, showing aggressiveness when riding defenders well out of the play.
Hopkins has a good chance of being available to the Texans at #27, but a lot depends on if there is a run on WR's in the 1st. As for Swope, he's climbing up draft boards fast. Not sure where he'll end up when it's all said and done, but he could go in the mid to late 2nd round. A lot will probably depend on how some of the more highly rated WR's, like Allen, Woods, Patton, etc.. do at their Pro-Days. If they do well and improve their numbers they may be higher ranked by some teams and drop Swope back some.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote