View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013   #59
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tom Brady extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
In your TJ stats are you leaving out his playoff games?
hmmmmm, what part of my post answers your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Btw, both rookies played in 6 games (not including playoff games), so it's a valid comparison.
Since Matt did not play in a playoff game until his 9th season, I did not see the point of post-season rookie play in my comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs
Check out the drop in ppg Schaub to Yates and dont mention Dre because Schaub didnt see a drop in ppg without Dre.
yeah, nice, let's compare stats of a 5th round 3rd string rookie without an off-season to an 8-9 year veteran with years of experience with the same receivers. That's so academic and intellectually honest.

[/sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, he is, and leaving out 4 fumbles in the regular season. But he did say he's willing to overlook going against Ed Reed in the playoffs. TJ posted a 53.8 QB rating in the playoffs with 1 TD and 3 INTs.
Alright, throw those in there if it makes you feel better. Matt had 1 and TJ had 4. Not sure if those were lost or just fumbles, but makes no difference to me.

My point was not to advocate TJ Yates or act like he's something that he's not.

The point was that Schaub is not all that, and the fact that he can be compared to a backup QB is indicative of his not-even-close-to-elite status as an NFL QB.

I honestly do not understand what he has accomplished to warrant the homerish defense by so many Texans fans. Not a knock on you or anyone in particular, but I am not convinced in even the slightest way that he can or will do much more at 32 years old than play good enough regular season football to get us a post-season loss.

I wanted him to be great. But after January, I cannot wear blinders to Schaub's obvious handicaps as a QB. I'm a fan, just not that kind of fan.

BTW, Ed Reed has made lots of QBs look foolish. Perhaps that's why he's a first ballot HoFer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
in such a short histroy of starts leaving those numbers out sure makes it seem better than it really was, lets not forget that as great a TJ was at moving around with better feet than Schaub his sack rate was worse
Yates is what he is right now, and has a 1-1 post season record just like our much heralded pedestrian starting QB.

Y'all can rip on TJ Yates all you want (I'm not his defender), but all it does is make Schaub that much more average in the bigger picture.

Like I have said on multiple occasions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
This for a 5th round 3rd string QB without an off-season or any reps that was thrown into the fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I'm not saying that TJ Yates is the second coming of Tom Brady. However, when you can make an argument comparing our starting QB to a 5th round rookie who did not have the benefit of an off-season, perhaps the reality is that our starter is pedestrian, at best.
BTW, I understand that Schaub has no competition for a couple of years and will be our starting QB for probably two more seasons at minimum. He's wonderful that way and Kubiak woud not want to put a dent in his mental state.

Just don't get your hopes up that he has it in him to carry this team in any sort of way. Winning it all with Schaub will require all aspects of this team to play beyond what we have seen so far. The Ravens won their first SB with Trent Dilfer, so we have that to hope for, I guess.