View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: WR catch rate: Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm also wondering what these stats aren't telling us. Is an 8 yard reception on 3rd and 10 really a successful play? The raws stats will say yes, but in watching the game you'll see that the defense is giving the QB and receiver the underneath route. Trying to extract meaningful data from football stats is akin to herding cats.
I don't agree with this kind of thinking. To extrapolate, it's like giving the ball to the running back 3 yards behind the LOS on 3rd & 1. We all expect that running back to pick up the 4 yards & get credit for one.

The situation is a little different in that you have your OL facilitating that one yard that is needed. But if you have Andre 1 on 1 with a 5'10" 185lb DB, don't you expect him to take that 8 yard catch & make 2 yards?

In my mind you can't say it was a failure on the QB because KDub didn't pick up 2 yards when the safety was playing 3 yards behind the LOS. Or if James Casey is run down before picking up the two yards, or if Jacoby Jones ran 8 yards laterally instead of sticking his head down & picking up 2 yards.

We've seen too many times on this team that a 3 yard slant can & often does pick up a 5 Yard First down.