View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013   #91
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WR catch rate: Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I'm also wondering what these stats aren't telling us. Is an 8 yard reception on 3rd and 10 really a successful play? The raws stats will say yes, but in watching the game you'll see that the defense is giving the QB and receiver the underneath route. Trying to extract meaningful data from football stats is akin to heading cats.
I've always said that stats are useful for baseball but I don't tend to get fixated on raw numbers for football stuff and your example is one of many reasons why. The Texans throwing short of the first down marker is maddening, but looks good in statistical breakdowns like this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote