View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013   #90
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WR catch rate: Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
In 2011, the Texans had the 2nd most efficient offense in the NFL according to Football Outsiders.

So when you are looking at WR/TE draft targets, you cannot ignore the hands.
I'm pretty sure you meant 2010.

The ability to catch the football certainly has something to do with catch rate. But, I would suggest that the ability to create separation and/or find holes in coverage is also a major element in the catch rate equation. It's a lot easier for a QB to complete a pass when the DB is not glued to the receiver. Creating seperation is part speed, part strength, part savvy. That's why despite the attention Andre gets, his catch rate is high. That the other Texans receivers are lacking in one or more of these attributes, could indicate why their catch rate is lacking.

I'm also wondering what these stats aren't telling us. Is an 8 yard reception on 3rd and 10 really a successful play? The raws stats will say yes, but in watching the game you'll see that the defense is giving the QB and receiver the underneath route. Trying to extract meaningful data from football stats is akin to herding cats.

Last edited by Lucky; 02-28-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Lucky is online now   Reply With Quote