View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 49ers Trade Alex Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Chiefs overpaid for Smith, I think had they waited longer they could've gotten a better deal for Alex. I see him more as a stop gap solution, they could've probably gotten a better long term project at 33.

I think for the Niners you risk gambling Kapernick misses time because well...it's going to be #33 on a team loaded with talent. I don't see how you don't make that trade if you're SF. It's not like Smith's skillset is irreplaceable. They can get a journeyman QB.
I think the Chiefs made a great deal. Alex Smith is a good quarterback. He can make all the throws. He is athletic. He makes good decisions. He's healthy and young. There isn't anything not to like. He has not produced a great body of work. However, I think that is less a result of his ability and more his situation. In two years with a good coaching staff and team in place, he was a winner and effective. Teams can want an elite QB.. It doesn't mean they are available.

I except Smith to have a very good career. Not only is he a talented QB who has played well the past few seasons... Now he has a chip on his shoulder. Chiefs are now the team to beat in the West for the next 4 or 5 years. If Andy Reid isn't burned out, I expect Smith to rank among the top 10 QBs in the NFL yearly. If I were a Chief's fan, I would be overjoyed right now!