View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013   #42
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tom Brady extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm pretty sure they saved all of 2 million dollars of cap space in 2013/14 combined from this extension. If someone has something that says otherwise, let me know. An extension like that for 2 million in cap space is pretty dumb if you ask me.
Peter King had a number much larger than that the other day but I believe he was wrong. This is what I read recently

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...spend-all-cash
Quote:
Q. There has been talk that this year, because the cap is not expected to rise, that several teams will have to cut some good players. Is this, at least in part, the reason for the Brady deal? That is, the Pats can now be major players, not only in keeping some of their own players, but also in the free agent market at large? -- Tman (Belmont)

A. Tman, yes, there is an element of that in play with the Brady extension. I still thought the Patriots were in solid position with $18 million in cap space, but this gives the team even more flexibility this year (about $26 million in cap space by my estimate) and next year as well (when the cap isn't expected to rise again). It's all part of an overall strategy that was hatched after the 2011 lockout to prepare for the "flat-cap" era of football -- three straight years in which the salary cap did not increase much at all. I specifically remember owner Robert Kraft talking about the future and the salary cap not rising, and some contesting that viewpoint. The teams that didn't prepare accordingly are going to be hurt this year.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...lion-extension
Quote:
Brady's relatively modest deal frees up $15 million worth of salary-cap space for the Patriots in the 2013 and 2014 seasons, a league source told ESPN.