View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013   #31
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tom Brady extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
From what I read, Brady got $30 in bonus.
It doesn't matter, since like Dutch said, all $57M are guaranteed.
If Brady gets injured, the Pats are screwed.

Dutch, I read that they rework the contract so that $30M is termed as "bonus".
He will get more cash sooner than otherwise, and is fully guaranteed of the total $57M if he's injured.

Basically, the Pats are able to "defer" $15M in cap hit toward the last 3 years of the contract, at the risk of losing big time financially if Brady gets injured, especially early on.
The 30m signing bonus is spread evenly among the 5 years according to everything I have read. Just look at the deadmoney from Overthecap:

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...&Team=Patriots

His dead money will hit the cap regardless of what happens to him. If he retires or quits playing due to injury in 2015 he will cost 18m that year due to the guaranteed money acceleration. They could in theory keep him on the roster as inactive/IR and let him sit each of the last year or three in order to prevent that huge hit. In any case, his deal still ties up a lot of money and probably isn't the best for the Patriot's future, unless you think he will still play at a high level when he's 38/39/40.