View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans #2 WR position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I'm sure you can find a lot more instances of rookie wideouts having a big impact in their rookie season. I forgot to mention A.J. Green in my last post along with guys like Randy Moss and Julio Jones. I was just naming guys off the top of my head. But most of the time you're not going to find a wide receiver, especially late in the first round, who will come in and light the world on fire.

Dez Bryant from the Dallas Cowboys, for example, if you look at his production during his first three years in the NFL... That's usually the norm when it comes to a wide receiver developing in the pros. It's going to take two or three years before we know if we hit a home run or not with our rookie wideout. And like I said, by then we'll be in the market for a new number one because Andre Johnson will already be on the decline.

But my point being is that it generally takes two or three years for most rookie wide receivers to flourish into a good player. Gary Kubiak mentioned a few days ago that he believes players make their biggest leap from year one to year two, and he is hoping Keshawn Martin becomes a more consistent playmaker next season.

We already have too many young wide receivers on our roster. I know it's unfortunate DeVier Posey is injured at the moment, but I'd rather give Lestar Jean or Jeff Maehl a good and hard look going into next season.

If I were the Texans GM (and I know many of us would love to trade jobs with Rick Smith), I would release Kevin Walter and try to find the cap space to add a good and proven veteran wide receiver in free agency. I would even consider trading our 27th pick in round one if it could land us a good wide receiver via a trade.

I wouldn't even spend one draft pick on any wide receiver in this draft. In any round. Perhaps sign a couple undrafted rookie wideouts at best. To come to camp and compete with the other young guys we already have. And by that I'm only talking about 3-6 on the depth chart. We can probably keep a few on the practice squad.

We need immediate help right now at the number two wide receiver position to compliment Andre Johnson (while he's still a beast). If the Texans make the right moves this off-season we can definitely win the Super Bowl next year. But if they think they're going to land a difference maker at wide receiver with the 27th overall pick -- they're setting themselves up for disappointment yet again. We may as well just give the AFC to the Patriots right now...
See this is where we disagree, Rodgers/Hunter/Hopkins would be better than any WR on the roster excluding AJ.

Also you are trying to say that Posey/Matin/Jean are better than the trio I listed above?

Matin is a 4/5th WR/KR-PR on a good team. He has his place on the team. Posey probably wont play and Jean is very overrated on this MB. He's proven nothing and has trouble getting separation. I think the current WR corps is young, but there isn't a difference maker in the bunch.

I'm for drafting 2 WR's Hunter/Swope in rds 1-4. This will help provide competition within the WR group and the young guys can learn the tricks of the trade from AJ. When is the last time the Texans had a legitimate threat at WR2? It's time to fix that.

I see Hunter/Rodgers/Hopkins as potential difference makers next yr. You dont?

PS, as long as the Texans have Schaub and the Pats have Brady the Texans will always be at a disadvantage.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote