View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013   #131
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans #2 WR position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
If the Texans look at what the Patriots are doing then there would be plenty of cap space to add a legitimate number two wide receiver during free agency. It's on you, RICK SMITH! But he pays Matt Schaub more money than Tom Brady is now making. When he didn't even have to give Schaub that extension that fast. It should have waited until now but that's another topic for another day.

Unless we're talking about a can't miss "Randy Moss or Julio Jones" type guy, I find it far fetched that we're going to add an impact player right away at the position. We need somebody who can compliment Andre Johnson right now. Not two or three years down the road, which is a reasonable time frame it takes most rookie wideouts to develop into a legit two if not a pro bowler. By then Andre Johnson will already be washed up and near retirement.

Our window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl, at least with Andre Johnson still performing at an elite level, is likely 2013, 2014 and 2015. Three more seasons at best. I can't imagine he'll still be as good nearing 35 years old going into 2016 with 13 years of NFL experience under his belt.

We need a big free agent signing if we expect to find that immediate help at the number two wide receiver position. It sucks we failed to sign Reggie Wayne last off-season -- after Andre Johnson tried to recruit his fellow Miami Hurricane friend, but now we need to try and land the big name wideout in free agency this off-season. Whoever it may be.

Another rookie wide receiver isn't going to do "JACK" for us. And I'm only being nice when I say that. We need an established difference maker if we expect to compliment a still productive Andre Johnson.
Very solid post & agree with everything (would love to add a Greg Jennings) but its simply not true that a rookie WR can't do jack for this team @ a clear position of need like receiver. Austin, as discussed would impact this offense immediately with his speed alone. He can create separation underneath or over the top. Like his character too, nothing seems to big for the moment, just execute.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote