View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tom Brady extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Exactly why I was against re-signing Schaub too early. We should have taken a close and hard look at him this off-season, while he became an unrestricted free agent. Kudos to Tom Brady for helping his team create more salary cap space so they can add more good players to their roster. But I don't blame Matt Schaub at all for taking what was offered to him.

This is purely Rick Smith's fault for not understanding how to build a real champion. He over-pays past the market value for several players. And this was after we had already lost several good players last off-season due to salary restrictions: Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans (traded), Jacoby Jones, Eric Winston and Mike Brisiel to name a few. I can even name Vonta Leach a few off-season ago. Apparently a pro bowl fullback playing with the current Super Bowl championship team wasn't worth the big bucks either.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ubs-extension/

Pats sign Brady to deal much smaller than Schaub’s

By: Jay Lee - Ultimate Texans

Sometimes the best quarterback isn’t the one making the most money.

According to a Sports Illustrated report Monday, Tom Brady has agreed to a three-year, $27 million extension with the Patriots. Need some context for that figure? The Texans’ Matt Schaub signed a four-year, $62 million extension last year, and the Jets’ Mark Sanchez received a three-year, $40 million extension.

Brady’s deal gives the Patriots a lot of salary-cap flexibility. His extension, according to the report, includes a $3 million signing bonus and salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017.

Brady has won three Super Bowls with the Patriots and is a two-time NFL MVP.
Where would Texans be if they waited to this of season and Schaub took another offer? TJ Yates would be the starter. Not saying he could not succeed but no way is he better than Matt. I do not see any Qb there in first to beat out Yates. Texans made a great deal to lock in a playoff QB as no other option. It does not matter one iota what Brady signed for as he was not playing for us. It simply came down to Schaub or a drop way down in quality to replace him. You cannot just assume Matt would accept a deal in the off season. QBs are prime and he is one of the better ones. It is just as likely he would have gone elsewhere if Smith low balled him as remaining for a lesser deal.