View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Combine 2013: Texans Gary Kubiak Transcript

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This wasn't always the truth. Even when teams knew we were going to throw the ball, we could throw the ball, up, down, all over the field. Even when teams knew we were going to run the ball, we ran it between the tackles, we ran it around the edge, & we cut it back & ran it up their a55.

In 2012, for whatever reason that did not appear to be the case. We've all got our theories as to why that was, but prevalent among most is that it didn't appear that we tried. I understand the whole not force it & we scored a lot of points & we moved the ball without forcing it, playing it safe..... but if we don't have the lead, our defense is not the defense we think it is.

So, in my mind, anytime we are playing without the lead, we need to act like we want it. If that means we need to take chances & spread the field which seems to work for every other team, then we need to take chances. Because it appears we're going to lose anyway, if we don't have the lead.
In 2011, we were the same team on offense that we became in 2012...an offense that beats up on weaker defenses but runs into problems when they face (a) teams who don't buckle under the pressure, or (b) crucial over-the-hump games...such as getting past the divisional round.

For me, that situation involves two people: The head coach and the QB. No other two people have as much influence over the snap-by-snap flow of a game than the HC and the QB. Look no further than practically every team who ended up playing in a Conference Championship...they have a HC/QB duo who lived to fight another day.

Matt Ryan...he willed that team to win the divisional round game vs. Seahawks when all of us on that thread were saying "Wow, the Falcons just lost! First round bye doesn't matter! Home field doesn't matter!" Oops. Matt Ryan didn't get the memo. He spent 2012 being lampooned for his previous year's playoff failures, "Kings of the regular season" they were called. Well, Matt Ryan found a way to get his team into FG position and they won the game.

Colin Kaepernick...was deemed as maybe a Cinderella story and the clock was going to strike midnight. All he did was advance his team to the Super Bowl and almost found a way, with help from his HC, to win the Super Bowl.

Patriots and Ravens have two QBs who are, arguably, the two QBs with the most playoff wins, combined, in AFC history. I don't have the numbers to prove it, but I do know that Brady alone is up there...and Flacco has more wins, especially ROAD wins, in the playoffs than people would first think. Both of those teams have QB/HC duos who just find ways to get it done on a consistent basis.

That brings us to the Texans. I think everyone's expectations will be tempered when we have those first few games in 2013. We've seen this before, the same people doing the same things...so how does the script change during the playoffs for the Texans??? What has to happen for the Texans to go from being wildcard darlings to a conference game big-man-on-campus?

Head Coach and Quarterback is the key. It just is, and not only for our team. Look at teams who play in conference championship games, and what you see is that they've got head coaches and QBs who get it done. Tom Coughlin/Eli Manning got there twice, Bill and Tom get there practically every year for the past decade, Ravens seem to be in the mix consistently, etc.

I warned back when the Texans hired Wade Phillips, and we began to see Wade radically tune the defense up to a higher notch of performance in his free agency and draft pick moves, that the only danger I could foresee was that the defense would be dominant and that it could strain the team's chemistry if the defense became so dominant that the offense failed to capitalize on the opportunities. At some point, partly due to LB injuries among other things, the warning has become reality.