View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013   #34
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans - 2.4 Million Cap Carryover for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
A suggestion, go to Spotrak and add up all the 2013 FAs 2012 salary; that gives you an estimate of savings. Most of them will not be back.*Note that many contracts will have escalators. Or use the info Dutchrudder gave in his sticky thread.

Keep in mind the $2.4m carry over; did the 610 guys include that? Numbers are all over the board because we don't know what each source is counting. IMO, Quin is the only one I expect to re-sign.

Also, we can restructure contracts as we did to sign D Brown, Matt Schaub and Foster.
Using the Over the Cap numbers here are the players, who if cut, would yield extra cap room:

1. Antonio Smith: $6.0 million
2. Andre Johnson: $3.3 million
3. Brian Cushing: $3.1 million
4. Wade Smith: $3.0 Million
5. Kevin Walter: $2.5 Million
6. Daniel Manning: $2.5 million
7. Owen Daniels: $2.25 million

Everyone else is 600,00 or is a bigger cap hit than savings. Based on this, I think Smith and Walter are near locks to get cut. That's $5.5 Million the team could use.

Antonio Smith is 6.0 million, but the Texans don't have a replacement for him. I would keep him for now. Andre Johnson is a must keep. Interestingly enough, after 2014, Andre Johnson if cut, actually saves $10.4 mill. If you cut him, that may be the time to do it. Cush is young and only nets 3.1 if cut: gotta keep and resign. Manning is only $2.5. However, if one of the younger safeties can step up next year his cap savings would be $4.5 million...that may be a good time to cut him. Owen Daniels cap savings would only yield $2.5. However, if they cut him next year, it jumps to 4.5. I think he's gone next year.

So in summary, I think Wade Smith and Walters are gone. If the Texans are desperate, they may cut Daniels too.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote