View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Cosellís Take: Running quarterbacks are great, but throwing from the pocket is st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I don't think I agree that the college game has brought the idea of deception on the offensive side of the ball to the NFL.
In & of itself, I see where you are coming from, but his next statement
Quote:
Itís a multi-dimensional expansion of the basic play action concept that for years was executed with the quarterback under center, and more recently, out of the shotgun.
I think he's saying the college game is expanding on the idea much faster than the NFL. & I guess I agree with him. From the shotgun, the only deception I've seen in the NFL is the delayed draw & the screen and they've been doing that for years.

In college, they're doing a lot more out of the shotgun. I think it's out of necessity, since they have to add more diversity to their spread offenses.

One thing that isn't going to change, is that QBs become a big investment & is a big factor in determining a teams success/failure. I used to ask, "Why don't they run the option in the pros" & the answer has always been that HCs & OCs don't want to expose their QB.

However, since the rookie salaries have been addressed, they've got 4 years with a modest investment to help the QB adjust to the NFL. I will be surprised & disappointed if we see coaches exposing their QBs as much as we saw last year for 4 years & those guys are ruined.