View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013   #42
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vance Joseph on DBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Found this Nov. 2010 piece pretty interesting in the context of "NFL ready" and this discussion.

link
This whole article seems to point to one thing, sometimes we the fan, who like to think we know it all, really don't, and some of the time, the NFL personnel don't get it right either, but maybe they are more right than we are.

In this article there are 3 Texans players taken in the 1st round (07, 08, and 10). One of those players, basically trashed by them, is now a Pro Bowl LT and considered to be one of the best in the NFL (Brown). Another, after 3 years, has developed in to a solid CB while being criticized and ridiculed almost every step of the way (Jackson). The 3rd player (Okoye) showed signs early in his rookie year but never lived up to the hype and was basically let go after his 3rd yr (I think.) with the team. I guess my question to BRB is, will they do a real piece about looking back now and admit they were a bit shortsighted with Brown and Jackson? Probably not.

I know sometimes, we the fan, get impatient and expect players (especially 1st rounders) to step on the field and perform up to All Pro levels. In reality, that is rare and usually depends on the position of the player. I see this impatient attitude today, for example, with people saying Newton is no good and we need to get another RT. Give him some time. He's only been in the system 2 years and started 1 year. My guess is he will make a big improvement this season, and if not, Harris, or another draft pick, will be there to take his place. But, we have to give him a chance. Just like they did with Brown and Jackson, and yes, even Okoye. JMO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote