View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013   #34
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vance Joseph on DBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If being on a team with two quality cbs should not be held against Wilson, then being on a team without a quality DB & LBs that struggle in coverage should not be held against Kareem.

We see Kareem now, without the suspect play around him & he appears to be a quality player. We really don't know what Kareem would've looked like with quality players around him as a rookie.

Personally, I find it difficult to say the Smithiak assessment was wrong in light of the Frank Bush defense he was working in.
While I will concede that surrounding players can effect anothers play at time that was hardly the sole issue w/ Kareem's pathetic rookie season & suggesting that is just foolish. Kareem was burned quite often by his own doing. Either being tossed to the side in press, biting on double moves & getting left behind, or just plain falling down in coverage all contributed to Kareem's failures as a rookie & that's on him. Some could easily argue that Kareem was so pathetic in coverage that the pass rush didn't have enough time to be effective. If you can argue that others were at fault for Kareem's rookie failures w/ a straight face then I question your judgement & vision to be honest.

Frank Bush did produce middle of the road defenses prior to the 2010 collapse, so laying Kareem's failures on him are a bit of reach as well,imo, when you consider Bush did produce an average defense when he had Duanta & another rookie cb starting for him by the name of Glover Quin. Quin did well as rookie under Bush w/ basically the same talent on the defense which proves to me that if Quin could be successful then the NFL ready Kareem could've at least been able to show some potential...which he did not.

Comparing not getting on the field & thus not being allowed to compete(Wilson) vs getting on the field & getting destoryed (Jackson) is hardly an accurate comparison to judge who the better player is imo. I would think that could go w/out saying.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote