View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Offense Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
That's an interesting take, but I'm not necessarily buying it all. I don't think a player in motion equates to an audible. There is a distinct difference IMO & it's not as if defenses are not use to seeing & adjusting to motions. Motion doesn't mean a play changed because motions are built into some plays & audibles are play changes or adjustments. I don't think the Texans motion as much as you lead us to believe nor do I believe that every time they motion it's an audible. I wish I had a game recorded to refer back to to count the motions, but just from memory I don't recall the Texans just motioning constantly that it was noticeable has a high amount. Could be wrong, but I have my doubts.

As far as motioning to detect coverages, that's nothing new to be honest. I'm not a big time gamer, but I'm pretty sure most Madden players are very aware of that game play to detect man or zone coverages. If gamers can utilize motion & figure it out, I'm sure NFL DC's are aware of it as well & know how to disguise their coverages.
I agree that it's always a cat and mouse game.
Motion and a multitude of formations don't guarantee success.

It is just a tool to help the QB, but the QB also needs to be smart because the D can sometimes hides its true intention.

As far as game recorded, it was a study that I had spent a great time on during the last off-season. I had 9 Broncos games that I gathered when the Texans traded for Chris Myers.

I went through 3 games in depth on every play.
I first note the original personnel.
11 personnel for example, with 1 back and 1 TE
So I start counting one (1) formation from 11 personnel, no motion, TE strong right, X wide left, Z wide right, slot right.

Painstakingly, I went through each play, drawing a little diagram to note where each player lines up.
Then I realized that I can just take a screen shot of the formation.

The next time I see the 11 personnel again, I check against the diagram or screen shot to see whether the players still line up in the same position like before or some move to another location.
For this example, it could be
Two (2) formations from 11 personnel - ie., the second time the offense is in 11 personnel.
TE strong left, X wide left, slot left, Z wide right.
Then I note that this is a mirror formation of the previous one.

After charting 3 games, the next 6 became simpler, I don't need the diagrams anymore, just the abbreviated notes.

Then I watch the Texans games from 2011.
For example, there was one game in which by halftime, I've already found the Texans in as many different formations as the Broncos were in an entire game (in a certain game; I think both games involved the Titans as the common opponent.)

After the study, I concluded that the biggest difference between Kubiak's Broncos and Kubiak's Texans is in formation.

Jon Gruden also said something to the effect in one of the Texans game; that with the Texans, it's formation, formation, and formation.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote