View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cosellís Take: Running quarterbacks are great, but throwing from the pocket is st

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is a difference between a running QB and a scrambling QB. Watch some Roger Staubach film.
Staubach's scrambles were truly epic. Dude would run 50 yards behind the line of scrimmage until a receiver got open. You don't see that too much these days. Either today's QBs don't have the patience for it or they are coached to run for the first down whenever possible.

And Staubach had a great arm to go along with that scrambling ability. How he could come out of a dodge and twirl to avoid a defender and throw a long accurate pass is still amazing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I haven't seen enough from any of these guys at the pro level to make me think they'll be anything more than Michael Vick. Like Vince Young, everything I've seen has been to wide open guys.
Yeah, it's a small sample size with just one season. But, I saw a lot of very impressive throws from RG3 and Kaepernick. Precise throws into tight windows where they placed it right where the receiver needed it to be sort of thing.

These young guys benefit from all the advanced training available to little league and high school players these days, so they are learning a lot of the basics of good passing fundamentals while possessing some great athleticism. It remains to be seen if they can continue their styles over several years, but it's something fun to watch as they progress.