View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans Offense Question?

I found this article a while back.
Quote:
The key aspect: Griffin has options when he comes to the line of scrimmage. While the offensive line and backfield perform a running play, the receivers run a different passing play. Shanahan stressed Griffin wasn't using an audible; Griffin decided what play to run based on what the defense showed him.
I think we do something similar. Every play has different options built in. We make adjustments to the plays after Schaub sees what the defense is doing. The guy in motion, for instance, doesn't have to be put in motion if Schaub believes his current position & route is favorable to what the defense is showing us. When he is put in motion, he might have two or three different stop points & the one chosen puts him in a favorable position. That position may help him, may open another route, or may provide a natural pick.

Same thing with our running game. Just because it's a stretch to the right, there are a dozen or so adjustments that can be made to make it more successful. If the right is so overloaded, then the left should be much more favorable & we know Schaub has the ability to change the direction of the run. If we stretch it to the short side of the field, I personally believe that had to have been an audible.

We've got a very prolific offense, so it doesn't make sense to me that people would think it's stale & incapable of adjusting to what's going on in real time. Whether we're talking about scoring, yards, T.O.P. we're at the top of the league.

We've got red zone issues, no doubt about it. But the "Matt Schaub needs to be able to audible more!!" stuff is over-played.