View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013   #73
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Lead NFL.......in RUNS on 3rd And Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The point is that a new head coach doesn't guarantee anything. There have been a few HCs that have done better than Kubiak in less time, but there have been many more who did not.
Being the HC of a 12-4 team also doesn't guarantee that you can pilot that same team to another division title and advance past the divisional round of the playoffs, either.

Guarantees are a joke. You can't guarantee anything in the NFL, well...actually, you can guarantee that you'll probably see the same things you saw the previous 5 or 6 years if you're bringing back that same HC again.

What things have we seen from Gary that never get resolved year after year?

1. Lack of a truly GOOD wide receiver to match with AJ. Gary Ball seems to place emphasis on studly AJ and a bevy of role players who run certain routes and get their number called as a last resort.

2. Without two or three good TEs, his system is not that great. AJ and OD were the keys to this team's success. With Foster in the mix, very deadly. But each of those three have been held out fro various reason and various times, and the outcome is rough for offensive production on a consistent basis. Gary is in danger of having no real TE threat to help our his system.

3. Sporadic playcalling. Take your pick of any of the following: (A) The infamous draw play on 3rd and long, (B) Screen passes to a WR or a RB that work satisfactorily about 10% of the time, with the OT toss to AJ vs. Jags this season being the 10% that it worked. Who else in this league cannot execute nor defend a screen pass like we do? We suck at it, on both sides. That's SOFT, IMO. (C) Let's run when we should pass and pass when we should run, because the defense will NEVER see that coming! Yeah, except they do. The good defenses do, at least. I could go on, but I want to move on to something else.

4. Awful personnel choices, dumb loyalty that costs the team, etc. I would wager that Wade Phillips is the only non-Kubiak guy who has been hired to this team since Kubiak became HC. Can't nobody convince me that as soon as Wade was fired from Dallas that Gary went racing to Rick and Bob and blurted out that we just gotta' get this guy to Houston and on the double! He chose the prior two DC's who were absolute DUDS...and I have zero confidence that he was a Wade Phillips To Houston, Please! guy until he saw the writing on the wall--Either your signature will be on this hiring decision, or Wade will be your replacement. An offer Gary couldn't refuse. Now look, we've got a clearly FAILING special teams unit and he won't fire and replace Marciano. Typical.

5. Took him a few seasons to beat the Ravens, and he did so in extreme style...now we just need two or three more seasons to beat teams like the Packers and Patriots. (Sigh) Awesome. Does he get this done with both teams in two seasons or will it be two seasons to beat Packers and two seasons to beat Patriots? I'm tingling with anticipation!

6. Refusal to adjust. Because let's face it, he's a guru...a genius...if we just run our offense and our guys are "on," nobody can stop us. Championship.

You're right, taking a chance on a new HC would be less of a guarantee than we can handle.