Thread: PreCombine
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: PreCombine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think its more likely that they restructure Smith's deal and add a couple years at a reasonable price while converting much of this years salary to bonus money allowing them to spread it out over the duration of the contract and free up cap dollars for the short term as the cap is expected to increase significantly in 2014 and 15.
I agree, Smith is getting up their in years, but he had an awesome year. 2011 wasn't bad either. Cutting him just don't make sense. The smart thing to do, would be to extend his contract to about 6 years total, big bonus & expect to cut him after 3.

If he's making $6M in 2013 (I thought it was $7M) I'd pay him an $12M signing bonus with $2M salary. Take a cap hit of $6M for the next three years & we can cut him after that third season with no dead money. Antonio gets a $2M raise, we save $3M on the cap, everybody's happy.