Thread: PreCombine
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: PreCombine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
I thought I'd just stick this in this thread. It's a battleredblog post linking an interview with Mayock on the 2013 draft.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/2/...ith-rich-eisen

And this is from a comment below it:
One interesting thing he said is that he doesn’t feel like there is a 1st round QB in this draft (note this doesn’t mean he thinks one won’t be drafted in 1st round) talent wise. He’s not sure about either Barkley or Geno Smith. He described it as the most confusing QB draft in years. He doesn’t think Geno Smith is the #1 overall player in the draft or even 1st round period (at this point in time,still more evaluation to go).

There were some laughs at the Chiefs expense since they pick #1 overall,need a QB, and get one of the worst QB draft classes since the Quinn/Russel draft.

Mayock also feels like there is more depth in the first 3 rounds than we’ve seen in years but doesn’t see a bunch of big time difference makers at the top. The 5th pick isn’t that much better than the 20th pick for example.

Best player on tape he’s seen so far is the Alabama Guard.

Doesn’t feel like there is a Colin Kaepernik type QB in this draft class (I agree,EJ Manuel is the closest to that but only athletically,he’s not a good QB IMO). Doesn’t think the days of QB’s like Brady or Manning are over and guys like Colin and Wilson are the future just a different style of QB play.

Feels like there is a healthy selection of QB’s in the middle rounds but nobody that really stands out. Mentioned Ryan Nassib’s intelligence being a reason his stock will probably rise close to draft time when the coaches get involved with asking him questions. Mentioned Mike Glennon as a 6’6 cannoned armed monster who might be a 15 year player.

Loves the OL selections available in the draft. Really loves the DT selections.

Intrigued by the BYU OLB/DE Ezekial Ansah, compared him to JPP (talent wise) but more raw as a player but has big upside. Will be a situational pass rusher his rookie year like Aldon Smith.Needs good coaching though.

Not very high on OLB/DE Damontre Moore, Mingo, or Werner (as high draft picks).

Really likes Dion Jordan as DE/OLB as potential monster. Isn’t to high on the overall OLB class but lots of intriguing guys. Feels like the guys at the top are overrated (in terms of where they are mocked).

1st round grades on 6-7 DT’s (doesn’t expect that many to go 1st round of course). Again, really loves the DT class.

Doesn’t think Manti’s whole catfish thing will kill his draft stock.Still a 1st rounder. Likes the tape of Minter he watched, better than he thought. Considers Ogeltree a freakish athlete but not sure what position he fits in at.

Said Tyrann on limited tape study (hasn’t looked at him in depth) plays better than his measurables would indicate. Has a great feel for the game and has exceptional quickness.Just a very good football player.
I like Mayock, but... Big Deal... He called Gabbert as the first QB off the board; I said that guy isn't any good.

Mayock called Tannerhill a first rounder and Weeden an early second rounder; I disagreed with both.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote