View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013   #56
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Lead NFL.......in RUNS on 3rd And Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I think some skill goes into creating a dynasty being that it means it is prolonged success. Discounting & attributing a dynasty to luck seems a bit off base imo. Believe it or not, good coaching & making good personal decisions throughtout the years is considered a skill as opposed to luck w/ some franchises.

Comparing the Belichick led Pats & Dungy led Colts to kubiak is apples & oranges imo. Their turned their teams around & showed sound progress throughout their tenures & established standards of excellence that was expected by the team & fans. I'm not saying the Texans don't want or expect excellence amongst the players, but sometimes coaching alone can limit & hold a team back. The Texans have been deemed talented for years & have also been deemed underachievers as well. This year "frauds" was added to the list to describe them. That is something I don't recall ever being used to describe the Pats or the Colts in the past. The constant underachieving by the Kubiak led Texans is what has led to the doubts & naysayers over YEARS. If some how Kubiak & Schaub had led the Texans to "only" 2 Super Bowls & failed, I truly doubt the criticism would be the same. The problem is that is NOT the case & 2 playoff appearences in 7 seasons is hardly comparable to what Dungy & Belichick accomplished early in their careers w/ the Pats & Colts & assuming kubiak will accomplish the same based on his history thus far seems to be a bit of reach to say the least.

Let's be honest, most HC's w/ kubiaks record over the amount of years he has been given w/ a franchise would've been fired for his performance. Plain & simple. He has been very fortunate w/ having Uncle Bob as his boss.
I mostly agree with what you said, but...

I'm not discounting what the Patriots have done as luck. I just said dynasties require "some luck". For example, Bledsoe getting injured was a blessing in disguise. The tuck rule fiasco. The whole spygate incident. Those are instances of luck that went the Pats way and helped them to multiple super bowls. To be an NFL dynasty, you'll need an all-time great coach, an all-time great QB, and some stuff to luckily go your way. The Patriots had all three. (Unfortunately, the Texans have none of those)

Also, you may be giving Dungy a little too much credit. That Colts team was already decent when he took over. The Colts were already one of the best offenses in the league, they simply needed some defensive help. Dungy made it to the playoffs 7 times with the Colts, but only reached the Super Bowl once. Is that acceptable to you? Before the Colts, he coached the Bucs for 6 years and couldn't get them to the Super Bowl. In fact, in both cases, once Dungy left the Bucs & Colts, his predecessor brought the team to the Super Bowl. Kubiak did more in regards to re-building a team.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote