View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans - 2.4 Million Cap Carryover for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
ArlingtonTexan posted a link to this site the other day: http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.ph...xans&Year=2013
From what I know and looking at their numbers, they are pretty accurate. They suffer from the same issue as Sporttrac though, where they don't account for the vet minimum deal contracts. Their caphit numbers are slightly higher for some of those smaller contracts, but that's not a big deal. They are spot on with the top 20 contracts, so let's have a look at Schaub.

Here's the info on Schaub, which I believe is accurate:

This is how I was trying to present the info in the thread I started, but I was looking guys going into their last year. Schaub has several more years and there is zero chance he will be gone before the end of the 2013 season. If you look at the dead money column, you can see that cutting or trading Schaub now or before the end of the 2013 season would cost the team about 10.5 million in capspace, because he has his 2013 salary guaranteed and 4 years of signing bonus left. That's a huge chunk of change to spend on a guy not playing for you.

However, if you look at 2014, cutting him before the season starts would actually save 4 million in cap space because his dead money is only 10.5 million compared to his 14.5 million cost. And you can see it gets much more reasonable to move him as the contract progresses.

So in short, yes, we have one more year of Schaub, even if we sign the elite Joe Flacco in free agency. It's just not feasible to move him for anything in 2013.
Thanks for your great input! Rep for your help.

Just to be clear, if Schaub is released after the 2013 season is over, even though we would save paying him the $11 mil in base salary and roster bonus for 2014, the remaining $10.5 mil accelerated dead money for the remaining unpaid guaranteed 2014, 2015, and 2016 payments for the original signing bonus, would be applied as a single "hit" to the 2014 Texans cap?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote