View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South Team needs according to PFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Sumlin is a very interesting case but I think a lot of that interest lays in the fact that most NFL fans aren't exactly familiar with what he's done in college football besides the last year he was at UofH and his first year at A&M (Which I'll admit his first year at A&M was damn near legendary). He got put into the SEC, in what most would've considered an impossible situation, and got his team together enough to go 10-2 in that tough ass conference and embarrassed Alabama (Which no team has really done in a couple of years).

If the Texans went out and hired Sumlin and replaced Kubiak with him after the 2013 season I wouldn't be that upset about it depending on what the Texans did that year.

Put me down as a non-Cowher fan. That guy has been away from football for entirely too long and I think most people who pine for him just want him because he's basically the opposite of Kubiak in terms of how "in-your-face" his coaching style is.
Yep.

The thing I always didn't feel comfortable with, in terms of Cowher, is whether he had the REAL passion to start fresh with a team and front office he doesn't have a handle on...could he truly be that same leader he was prior to his stint with the Steelers?

My opinion is that he would be the Jimmy Johnson of the Dolphins...the guy who was essentially a fish-out-of-water with a new team in a new era.

One of the things that we always talk about, as well, as how these "great head coaches" always had one thing in common when they won a Super Bowl or had really good seasons for consistent years.....they had an EXTREMELY TALENTED QB.

Jimmy Johnson had Aikman. Hell, the entire offense was Pro Bowlers.

Cowher didn't a win a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donell, but here comes Big Ben and it's Lombardi Trophies for everyone in black and yellow.

Put those two coaches on the Texans, with the QB we've got, and I think they become as mortal as anybody else.

What we need is a head coach who isn't afraid to shake things up and really do things that haven't been done. For Sumlin to have just jumped right into the SEC as a first-time Aggie head coach in a new conference, and to play a freaking freshman runt QB...and to get the results he got...there was out-of-this-world "buy-in" by everyone on his staff and roster. That's SPECIAL.

I think the problem with long-time coordinators in the NFL, when they become head coaches, is that they end up regressing back to what they know best: Calling plays and worrying about the details of what's in their wheelhouse, rather than looking at the TEAM as a whole. Gary is withdrawing into that zone of being a coordinator, IMO. We need a HC who will be a HC.

If you can't find it within yourself to make some moves at the most critical position, QB, you're dead in the water in the NFL. This whole organization, though, is dedicated to loyalty to a fault.