View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: The Cost Of James Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Wow, your jumping to the extreme here. I never said anything about defining Casey's career by this one mistake.
That's why I didn't say "wolf6151 defines Casey's career by this one mistake". I said fans do, as in a general observation. I can bring up former players and inevitably the first thing some fans will remember is some mistake that player made. Hell, try having an objective conversation about Jabar Gaffney, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Really?!?
What??
I can't think of a single game last season where he stood out.
I can't think of a single game where Wade Smith stood out either, but he was named to the Pro Bowl. The Texans rarely ask Casey to do something that "stands out". When he makes a ten yard reception, are you cataloging that in your head as a standout play? When he puts on a good block at the goal line for Arian Foster (just one play I remember), do you catalog that in your head as a standout play?

Whatever people think Casey might be capable of, the coaching staff asks him to do a specific job, and he's done it well enough to where we don't hear his name. That's a good thing for his position. Now, if he were actually a TE and playing that position, maybe your argument would make sense. But he isn't.

And just for reference, people didn't "notice" Leach until the TV announcers started talking about him. I'm not comparing Casey to Leach, but I am comparing the glamor status of the position. You have to be completely outstanding to garner any attention from the FB position.

None of this has any bearing on whether or not the team should keep him, however.