View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South Team needs according to PFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I must admit I never even considered raiding the college ranks. The success rate of coaches who make that transition is spotty at best.

As I said above, Sumlin is an interesting choice. I'd be down with that choice because it seems he's found success where ever he's landed. Yeah... the more I think about it, the more I like it.

I listed the names I could come up with but never thought about the college ranks. If Kubiak is fired and Wade isn't, would Wade get all butt-hurt and leave because Uncle Bob didn't annoint him Kubiak's successor?

I think it also depend on who Sumlin (or anyone else for that matter) brings in as assistants. And what kind of team Sumlin and Rick Smith make during draft and free agency time.

Sumlin... I like it.

...oh and repped for thinking outside the box. At least more outside than I did.
A first-year NFL HC isn't going to be able to command big dollars unless he wins the NCAA and then it's off to the races for bidding high enough to land a guy like that.

That's another reason for a guy like McNair to consider making the move.

Our team isn't a power-running team or anything, we're "fast and finesse," and frankly I can envision our OL having those wide splits like we see with Spread Offenses such as Mike Leach's OL who have sometimes a full 3 or 4 or 5 feet between each O-Lineman. From an OL standpoint, we have the guys to make that happen immediately. No major rebuilding would be needed, IMO.

QB? We've got two QBs whom I think could adapt to the Sumlin philosophy fairly easily. Case being the predominant choice here. The longer he sits, the better. If he has to sit one or two more seasons before a move for Sumlin was made, then fine by me. That's less time he gets physically invested into Gary Ball.

WR. AJ will be a question mark, I won't lie. He will be around 1 or 2 years older and would he be able AND willing to switch it up for a Sumlin offense? That type of offense is really, IMO, a hybrid between a West Coast and a Spread Offense (Sumlin utilizes the TE quite bit form the games I watched). So I'm saying that we MIGHT move on from AJ and load up with as many WRs as we can that would fit Sumlin's style. It would be a rebuilding mode with WR and TE, IMO. Which will make Texans fans quake in their Gary Ball boots.

RB. I don't see why there would need to be a change at RB. Another position that I think would be fine to leave untouched. Just continue to stock the shelf here, of course.

If Sumlin produces another stellar season at A&M in 2013, look at how Chip Kelly bolted Oregon for the NFL. It'll happen for some team...they'll kick the tires on Sumlin, and I don't think Sumlin has any allegiances to any college whatsoever. He looks and acts like a man who has his mind set upon moving to the NFL anyway he can.

If there's anybody in the college ranks whom I think could be the Texans HC and do it with good odds of succeeding, I think it's Sumlin. Just my two cents, though. He'd be cheaper than the average NFL retread HCs, he has all positions but WR and TE sewn up nicely, and I think he could find draft picks and FA's in one year that could stock him up sufficiently to make noise right out of the gates.

UH Cougars on both sides of the ball. Sounds good to me.