View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WR in the 1st round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I feel good about Posey, Jones, & Brooks, but haven't given up on Whitney, Crick, or Martin.

First, I think there is a lot more to building a championship team than the draft. For instance, the Ravens FA acquisitions were as important to their most recent Super Bowl as any of their draft picks. Bolden, Leach, & Pollard are as much Baltimore Ravens as any of their draft picks....... & then there's Jacoby.

I don't think much of Rick Smith myself, but I'd love to hear you break down how the Colts are gaining on us after 1 season. They've got Luck..... what else?
How can you feel good about Posey? He was a below avg WR who was getting better and may have become a starting WR. Now he has the worst injury possible for a WR and if he makes it back he probably wont be the WR that he was, much less what he could've been. I haven't given up on Whitney he has the ability to be an above avg starter and we should see improvement this yr. Crick's ceiling is a serviceable starter but not a difference maker. (Slightly better than Bulman) Martin is a dime a dozen 5th WR on most teams.

The Colts are gaining on us because Luck is light yrs ahead of Schaub and is only going to get better. According to Doc (Who's opinion I trust) This yr is as good as it's going to get for Schaub and this yr wasn't even good enough to sweep Indy. (I know you disagree) They already have all of their skill players in place (I know Wayne is getting older but in 1 yr they were able to add 2 young playmaking WR's, 2 young TE's of the future and a solid in all phases RB in Ballard.) They also have their 2 young OT's. Grigson did this all in one yr. It makes me think if Grigson keeps this up they will pass the Texans up in 2 yrs. As a rookie GM Grigson is already light yrs ahead of Rick.

The Colts were ready to make traumatic changes (Firing one of the best GM's in the NFL Polian and bring in a young gun like Grigson to set a new tone for their org. for yrs to come.) Meanwhile the Texans are avoiding traumatic change at all cost. (Do you think BoB would've fired Polian?)

It goes alot deeper than just this, it goes from changing coaching staffs and scouting staffs etc... I mean why does Coach Joe still have a job? The Colts just have a different mentality than the Texans do. The one thing that may be the Texans saving grace for a couple of yrs is I believe losing Arians will set the Colts program back a couple of yrs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote