View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Importance of Football Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
So, are you saying they need some "badboys" on team so they can win a SB? That no team can win it without some "badboys" on their team? And who or what defines a "badboy?" Where do you, or the GM/Coaches/Owner draw the line? One drug bust in college? 2 or 3? Do we go after "Honey Badger?" Does Posey qualify as a "badboy" for his NCAA infractions?

I think the point that Jerry Angelo was trying to make about "Football Character" is that it's better to take someone with maybe less talent, but heart and drive for the game, over someone who has all the talent in the world, but no drive or heart, regardless of whether they are a choirboy or not. But, the odds are that someone who is a "party boy" or doesn't workout, misses practices, etc.. in college is probably someone to stay away from in the draft IMO! In other words, the Texans need more like JJ Watt and Cushing who have the heart and drive to be the best.
Every team that wins has some badboys on it. The key is that a team has 1 badboy who's a leader, who can party with the hardest partiers, but when it comes time to work they are not only willing to work but the party players will follow his lead. (Example Lewis/Irvin)

Yes, every team would love to all Watt/Cushing etc.... on it. Point is for every John Lynch you find, you'll find a thousand Barber/Keo's of the world. Give me the guy with talent. The higher the rd you pick a guy in the greater the risk. But the greater the reward. That's why a guy like Mathieu is a better bet in the 4/5th rd than a guy like Rodgers in the 1st. But if you draft Rodgers in the 1st at 27 and hit, then you get the best WR in the draft. IMHO

It comes down to how much $$$$ are you willing to risk on a guy like Rodgers who has a great work ethic, but has character (Pot) flaws. Irvin was drafted 9th by the Cowboys and became a HOF. Guys like Lawrence Phillips (domestic violence) busts out.

This is the risk and I dont blame BoB/Rick/Gary for not being willing to risk high draft picks/$$$$ on guys like these. But in rds 4-7 that's where you can find guys with 1-2nd rd talent if your willing to take these risks. If they fail you really haven't lost anything. ($$$$ wise) If they hit your ahead of the game. BoB/Rick/Gary are still unwilling to take these risks and this is where I disagree with their philosophy. They are too conservative for my taste.

BTW, Why cant Angelo find another GM job? There were many GM jobs open this yr and nobody even interviewed him except for the Jets who could barely give the GM job away. This speaks volumes about how Angelo is viewed around the league. Kind of like Casserly.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 02-09-2013 at 12:43 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote