View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013   #14
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Importance of Football Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Newton/Irvin/Tuenei(SP)/Williams were all chior boys on those Cowboy teams.

They also were SB champions.

Ravens this yrs SB champs

Lewis/Suggs/Jimmy Smith/McKinnie etc.... were all role models... to win a SB you have to have a mixture of chiorboys that can play and badboys too. But they all have to be able to shine the brightest when the stakes are at the highest, This is what the Texans are missing and it starts at the top with Rick/Gary/Wade and the players follow their lead of not being at their best when the playoffs/SB are on the line.
I can say this from a ravens perspective: Since the Ray Lewis incident in Atlanta and the 2000 Super Bowl featuring a nasty defense, the perception around the NFL was that the Ravens were "a bunch of Thugs" when in fact thy have one the best non-Arrest records out of the 32 team.

Lewis was deemed "too small", "too slow" when the Ravens took him 26th overall. The Atlanta incident has haunted him forever (I'm not going to retry it here but I am sure alot of people will take their pot shots and insensitive comments from their glass houses). But no off field incidents since then.

Suggs had an incident in college (accused of aggravated assault- exonerated by a Jury trial) and had a slow 40 time at the combine- Brian Billick was asked about the slow time and responded "If my DE is chasing a QB 40 yds down the field, I have bigger problems to worry about". Suggss was accused of Domestic Violence last fall by his fiancee but has since married the woman and charges were dropped (He said/she said)

Jimmy Smith 1st rd pick who had off field issues inc ollege- none since being in Baltimore for 2 years.

Bryant McKinnie- he of the famous "Love Boat" scandal in MInn- FA pickup who seems more contet to eat himslef ino trouble than actually go out and commit any trouble.

"Ozzie always made a point to ask the important questions during NFL draft meetings. These were the two that he repeated most often:

1) "How will he fit in our locker room?"
2) "Does he help us beat the Pittsburgh Steelers?"

Newsome never got too carried away with height, weight or speed. He wanted football players. Period. That philosophy helps explain the makeup of this current Ravens roster."
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/0...-ozzie-newsome
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote