View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans - 2.4 Million Cap Carryover for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Maybe because if he carries it over, people/fans will assume he has to spend it or he's perceived as being cheap?
Yeah, Bob McNair cares soooooooooooo much about the fans opinion of him, that he told Rick not to carry over 1 million last year so he wouldn't look cheap this year...

Anyone claiming that not spending all our capspace each year is cheap, is dumb. Not giving the team extra caproom to work with by declining carryover is absolutely cheap and hurts the team.

Quote:
Caught between a rock and a hard place: Profits vs. expenses. If he has extra $2.something million to "use" then he has to potentially SPEND it. And if you spend it, you're deducting it from profitability.

And look, nobody needs to get their panties in a twist and start flaming me on here about how I'm a "Bob McNair is cheap" guy. All I'm saying is that usually when something that's FREE to utilize isn't utilized...there's underlying reasons. This could be one reason: Savings.
Well, I know the "Bob McNair is Cheap" argument gets old, but this could certainly be the case. Here is a list of teams last year that declined to carryover funds in excess of 300k:

Cardinals $2 million ($7 million).
Bengals: $15 million ($17.5 million).
Broncos: $26 million ($27.8 million).
Texans: $0.00 ($1 million).
Jags: $31 million ($31.6 million).
Chargers: $0.00 ($2.1 million).
Bucs: $23.5 million ($25.0 million).

That's not exactly good company to be in if you're trying not to appear cheap...

Quote:
Another reason could be that we don't know all the implications involved. Just as we don't have anybody, not even the critically acclaimed All-Knowing, All-Sensing media talking heads who get paid to know this stuff--They don't even know all the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap structure. It's possible that there are future ramifications looming if you use that extra portion of cap space. Who knows, it's possible we don't know everything associated with it.

Yeah well, 30 other teams saw fit to carry over at least some of the money, so the idea that there is some unknown penalty out there for carryover is just dumb. I read the NFL CBA, I'm well aware of the stipulations for carryover, and there are no penalties to my knowledge, or any of the cap experts I have read. It's simply leaving money on the table, money that we know we needed because of our cap situation.

What if that 1 million had been the difference between keeping Eric Winston or not? What if that money is the difference between resigning Glover Quin this year? It's absolutely asinine to not carryover capspace in salary cap football. If they do it again this year, then fans should riot and the writers should severely question management.