View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans - 2.4 Million Cap Carryover for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It appears the Texans will have the option to carryover 2.4 million in capspace from 2012. That money can be used in 2013 and beyond, so long as it is designated to be carried over each year. I use word "option" because as you may recall, last year the Texans reportedly had 1 million in excess cap space that for whatever reason, Rick Smith and company didn't seem to think was worth the effort to retain. 2011 carryover link

I hope Rick hires an intern to fill out the paperwork this year, because skipping out on 2.4 million in capspace is inexcusable. There are no consequences for carryover space, it does not figure into the salary cap floor requirement of 89%, you are not required to spend it, and it can be carried over every single year.
Maybe because if he carries it over, people/fans will assume he has to spend it or he's perceived as being cheap?

Caught between a rock and a hard place: Profits vs. expenses. If he has extra $2.something million to "use" then he has to potentially SPEND it. And if you spend it, you're deducting it from profitability.

And look, nobody needs to get their panties in a twist and start flaming me on here about how I'm a "Bob McNair is cheap" guy. All I'm saying is that usually when something that's FREE to utilize isn't utilized...there's underlying reasons. This could be one reason: Savings.

Another reason could be that we don't know all the implications involved. Just as we don't have anybody, not even the critically acclaimed All-Knowing, All-Sensing media talking heads who get paid to know this stuff--They don't even know all the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap structure. It's possible that there are future ramifications looming if you use that extra portion of cap space. Who knows, it's possible we don't know everything associated with it.

WARNING: The following is an obligatory Schaub Hater statement, viewer discretion is advised:

This team should cut bait with Schaub and spend the savings on other positions. Matt's not going to get us over the hump. He gets you TO the hump, but doesn't get you over it. Then, you GET humped...by teams like Packers and Patriots who don't give a **** that Matt Schaub has nice stats every year in the NFL.

Using the exception, plus (IIRC from other posts recently) the $4 million in savings by cutting Matt Schaub, would be around $7 million in cap space. I don't know what players are out there that we can sign with that money AND make it feasible for the offense & defense systems we run here, but it gives us some spending cash. Or, if it locks up a carefully select few of VERY valuable Texans who proved in 2011 and 2012 that they are providing great value..so be it.

I'm borderline disinterested, though, in anything moving forward with player movement and acquisition for us because frankly I think we're still screwed no matter what. I don't think this team is managed to the level of Super Bowl caliber teams. Yet. We're not adaptive enough, we're too loyal to players and coaches, and the head guy is stubborn to a fault.