Thread: DT in 1st rd.
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DT in 1st rd.

JMO:

Star Lotulelei, OMG I see why this guy is so highly rated. I haven't really watched tape on him until recently because he was out of our range, but he'd be a guy that if he fell out of the top 15 for some reason I'd trade up to get him.

Johnathan Hankins, I haven't looked at him much and don't know much about him, I always considered him out of our range at #27.

Kawann Short, this has been my guy for us at NT since TC began. He's got the base/foundation (hips, butt, and legs) and strength to anchor well and hold up to the double teams while also having good straight line speed to pursue the QB, and enough lateral agility to play the run. In our 1 gap system he's perfect. I think Short would also free us up to use Mitchell in the DE rotation and some special D-line lineups thus bringing more size to the D-line when needed.

Datone Jones, IMO is to small for 3-4 DE duties. At 274 lbs. he's more of a 4-3 DE or if he loses 15 lbs. and can gain some speed maybe he's a 3-4 OLB. He'd have to add 20 lbs. to play 3-4 DE and I wonder what that kind of added weight would do to his speed and athleticism. Plus he'd only be depth at DE behind Antonio and we need some size added to our D-line at NT.

Jesse Williams, could also be a serious candidate for the Texans. Jesse is probably the strongest NT candidate and a more traditional NT that handles double teams and plays the run while collapsing the middle of the QB pocket. He's got great strength and good straight line speed, but I think he lacks some of the lateral agility/athleticism that Short or Sylvester Williams has.

Sylvester Williams, is more of a speed rusher with good moves, a penetrating NT candidate, or 4-3 DT as well. He lacks the strength of Jesse Williams or Short but has better athleticism/agility and quickness than they do. He could be good for the Texans but I think a good S&C program would help him alot and there'd be a big difference in his 2nd season.

John Jenkins, I read the same thing that Playoffs just posted. I can see him in our system but I think the Texans would have him drop at least 20-25 lbs. and an NFL level strength and conditioning program plus the southeast Texas summer heat would probably melt that weight off quickly with the right nutrition. I think he's got the strength and size to be a very good traditional NT.

Brandon Williams, another guy that I don't know alot about. The limited film I've seen of him, he looks slow but holds up to double teams well and plays the run well, but lacks the athleticism/agility. The Senior Bowl writeups were fantastic. I worry about the step up from D-2 ball to the NFL.

I think it all depends on what type of NT you want for the Texans. Luckily Wade seems to be able to adapt his defense to the type of players we have and not the other way around. I also think that with the structured and disciplined team we've got almost any player we pick will fall in line and learn to be a Texan through hard work. Lets face it any NT we pick is going to have JJ on one side of him, the Ninja on the other side, and a berserk Cushing behind him, he'd be to afraid not to give 100% effort.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 02-08-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote