View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013   #84
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 87806 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Jacoby Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
I said the same things in another thread about him....

Kubiak said, “He did everything I asked. I wish him the very best. I think a new start is best for him. I told him to put a smile on his face, get a new start and kick some butt in his new job.”= Mission accomplished
You'd pretty much have to get a player to kick Kubiak in the nuts for him to say anything bad about them, and then he would still probably follow up with a "but he's a good kid".

Listen, Jacoby had two AMAZING plays in the Super Bowl and one against Denver. He clearly contributed to the success of the Ravens in the playoffs. I don't think anyone here is denying that.

Having the biggest game of his career in the Super Bowl was the best thing that could have ever happened to him.

I think people are more taking issue with phrasing like "coached up", "turned the corner" and "at the next level" when referring to what he did for Baltimore versus what he did for the Texans. He actually had worse punt return and receiving stats this year in the regular season, and outside of those three plays in the playoffs, was pretty much a non-factor.

If anything, especially if you look at the immediate success that Holliday had in Denver after being cut by the Texans, his success is more indicative of a better scheme from the 10 guys blocking in front of him than about any "next level" steps that he took as an individual.

For the last three years, Lardarius Webb and David Reed have had essentially the same return stats from an average yard perspective, and between the two of them were giving one return TD a year. What Jacoby did looks like more because he handled both duties instead of splitting them.

The only difference between what Jacoby gave the Ravens this year, compared to the last three years with Webb/Reed, were two more return TD's. Not saying that is something small, but it would appear that the Ravens special team unit is very much plug-and-play like the old Broncos running backs.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote