Thread: Safety
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I guess the real question is in a 3 safety set do you want quinn or manning on the wideout/tightend and the drafted guy closer to the box? Are we trying to fix coverage issues or run support/te coverage. As i said, i think quin does "ok" even against bigger te's. I want a centerfielder who safely gives us more opportunities to blitz. Your right about pollard. He's a good run defender and enforcer but most safetys are better in coverage. Bad example.
Quin still didn't do very well against the TEs; he did OK.

We can go several ways in the draft:

- Get a ball hawk (higher pick) and let Quin (if he's resigned) remains where he is.

- Move Quin back permanently to deep safety and draft a big safety with coverage skill on TEs.

- Get an ILB with coverage skill so we don't have to go to dime much (only against no back set.)

In nickel, this ILB and Cushing will take on the TE & RB, Harris or McCain (if he's resigned) will take on the slot, and Quin/Manning will play 2 deep safeties.
If one of the ILBs go down on a zone dog, one of the OLBs would drop back to take over coverage duty.
If we go with a 5-man blitz, either Quin or Manning will take the TE.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote