View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013   #64
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Jacoby Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post
Well, some of us have careers, family, and a Super Bowl parade to attend.

Irritate you? I thought it a legimate and serious question. Here's a guy basically run out of Houston on a rail, a guy many labeled a bust, a flop, a loser....and another team picks him up, dusts him off, and he winds up in the Pro Bowl, makes a game-tying late-second TD in a Divisional playoff, and scores two big TD's in a Super Bowl victory. And why did that happen? Why did he perform so much better in Baltimore than he did for the Texans?

Was it simply a change of scenery? Was it playing for a coach with a strong background in special teams, who saw something in him Kubiak did not? Was it mentoring by veteran players?

Seriously, how often does a guy get vilified and kicked out of town as a bum, and wind up a Pro Bowler, setting these NFL records in one year?

Longest kickoff return (108, tied)
Longest kickoff return in a Super Bowl (108)
Longest play in a Super Bowl (108)
Most all-purpose yards in a Super Bowl (289)

I do not think you have proven me wrong in any way, shape or form. The above speaks for itself.
Frankly, I think it has exposed a coaching and player management problem on our team.

I had thought that he was just incapable of doing anything other than the token reception for 15 yards and occasional TD on a return every other year. The playoff game vs. Ravens last year was the last straw.

Heading into the 2011 season, I thought Jacoby was going to have it all come together in 2011 with us. I was looking at his stats in the years prior, comparing them to David Anderson who was a role player at WR for us...two guys making WR contributions off-and-on over the years. I was convinced Jacoby would solidify himself as a playmaker in 2011. When the playoff blunder occurred, it was crushing for all of us. This team had invested so many years into helping him grow each year.

I do think that he's going to have moments of blunder with the Ravens. But the player who showed up in the playoffs this year was making plays at key moments, something he never did EVER with us.

The catch vs. Denver. The performance in the Super Bowl. It doesn't take 6 years for a guy to grow up in the NFL and get it right. No, he just found a team that hd the right mix of everything: Coaching, veteran leadership (as much as people bag on Ray Lewis, he IS a good on-the-field and in-the-locker-room leader there). It all came together for Jacoby.

I never saw it coming, not gonna' lie. I was thinking he was doomed. I even thought he would be a camp cut for you guys. Wow, what a turn-around. Few saw that degree of turn-around coming during camp last summer.