View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I was high on Jones earlier in the season ..... but that has waned. I dont know if he's just not ready technique wise or .... if he's just not an NFL calibur guard. The fact that Brooks took over for him late says a lot to me .... they have to get stronger up front.

I agree with Lucky that RT is a serious concern .... that right side fell of bigtime from Winston / Briesel to Newton / Jones or Brooks. For this offense to be successful , it has to be able to run the ball effectively - 3.7 ypc aint gonna cut it. They also have to keep Schaub clean ..... or else.

Newton was fairly solid in pass pro but piss poor in run blocking and in the screen game. Two staples of this offense ..... I think its absolutely necessary the RT position is upgraded relegating Newton to the swing tackle.
I understand your concern. Our run game took a big hit, no doubt from where we finished with Briesel & Winston. But I think we're miles ahead from where we started with Briesel & Winston.

Newton injured his knee right about the time our offense dropped off the face of the earth. I don't know how close to 100% he was when he came back, but there was still a bit of a drop off.

I agree with you on his screen performance, I think he was consistently below average even before the injury.

Like I said, there's definitely room for improvement. An "elite" like talent there (Eric Winston in the run game) would really take us to another level. I don't know that Newton can be that guy, I don't know that he can't. Many didn't think Brown could be that guy.