View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013   #589
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Manning doesn't have a huge arm either - not even in his heyday. Joe Montana probably didn't have any better arm than Schaub. What the elite guys do that Schaub and medicore guys of his ilk can't do is lead guys and anticipate where to go with the ball down to which shoulder to throw too etc.

Look at Manning and Brady and how they set up their guy to get major YAC in abundance. I can't even imagine the stats that AJ would have right now if he had been drafted by NE in 2003 instead of Houston. My God. How many times does AJ have to wait on the freaking ball while slow as a slug Matt and his slow release gets wound up so he can under-throw the ball.

I've thought up until the 2nd half of this year Matt was flirting with top 10 but maybe just on the outside looking in. No longer. The guy has regressed, and has now proven he can't play on the big stage. I would put him closer to #20 than #10 now, and you aren't going to win big with that kind of guy with any real consistency. I think Hasselbeck is the perfect comparison.

And here is another issue. How many games have Brady, Manning, and the other more elite QB's missed in their career. Let's face it, Schaub is brittle. It's just a matter of time before he misses a lot of games again.
Both the Mannings have helluvarm..... that's the only thing I disagree with in this post. I have absolutely no problem with this kind of criticism, because it is spot on.

Matt's arm is not the problem, his mobility is not the problem. Guys with big arms & extra mobility are a dime a dozen & will come & go before guys like Schaub are out of the league.

Matt's anticipation is no better today than it was in 2007. If his chemistry with Andre is any better, I find it hard to see evidence of it. His placement skills are way below where it should be (I think) for a guy who's played as long as he has with the guys that he's been throwing to (he's been throwing to Andre, OD, & Walter since 2007). & of course there are questions about his leadership. I don't necessarily need to see him yelling at people or making an a55 of himself on TV. But I'd like to see him talking to a receiver (WR, TE, FB, RB..... don't matter) from time to time on the sideline talking about what went wrong, what went right & seeing them get on the same page later in the game.

Complaining about his arm strength or his mobility is just begging him to be somebody we know he won't ever be. To me you're just saying, "Man I really like what these unproven QBs, playing a style that has proven to be a dead end, bring to the table. No one has ever won a Super Bowl playing like that but I'd love to waste the next 5 years trying."

& I'm not down with that. Sorry.

Oh, & I don't agree that Matt has proven that he can't take us to the Super Bowl either.