View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Curly Culp Made the HOF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not only did the Oilers get Culp, but also the Chiefs 1st round pick in 1975. That turned out to be 6th overall, and Bum Phillips (in his first year as GM and head coach) selected a linebacker out of Jackson State named Robert Brazile.
I've mentioned a few times that Culp and Brazille should be in the HOF around here...outstanding players and I'm happy as hell that Culp made it. Dr Doom went to the Pro Bowl 7 times was named ALL PRO 5 straight years and was AFC Rookie of the year his first year. Dr Doom belongs too.

my thoughts from 5 years ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

My all time favorite player ever on defense was Dr Doom - Robert Brazille. He was a 7 time pro bowler who should be in the HOF. Curly Culp and Robert Brazille were the two best defensive players I've ever seen play live probably. There was no way one man could block Culp...he was just an impossible bear on the inside although he was considered undersized. The Oilers defense completely turned around when Sid Gillman traded John Matusak for Curly Culp and went to new defensive coodinator Bum Phillips newfangled 3-4. At the mid-point the team lost most of the games the season we traded for Culp but once Culp was in the middle the team went on to win most of their remaining games late in the year to finish up at .500. The Bum Phillips era was kicked off and the rest is history.
Quote:
Brazile found immediate success with the Oilers, winning the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year award for the 1975 season. He was named to the Pro Bowl in each of his first seven seasons, was All-Pro 5 straight seasons (1976–80)[5] and was selected to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1970s. He is the only linebacker from the 1970s All-Decade Team not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In 1978 and 1979, Brazile was a key member of Oilers teams that went to back-to-back AFC Championship games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Brazile

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote