View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013   #552
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
But the NFL is evolving in a direction where a team's running game and pass protection are directly correlated with the QB. The ability to audible, slide protection, etc. Teams know that Schaub can't make certain throws, which allows them to focus their defense on the running game. They also know that Schaub hasn't proven that he can be successful when the D knows that it will be a pass. In addition, his complete lack of pocket presence and ability to extend plays allows defenses to tailor their coverages.

Overall, Schaub is just a one trick pony. He is, in my opinion, the least athletic starting QB in the NFL in a league driven by athleticism.
Schaub's got his issues, but the things you describe are not them. He looked fine in 2009 when everyone knew we were going to be throwing the ball. He looked fine vs the Jags & the Lions when everyone knew we were going to be throwing the ball.

His pocket awareness is definitely not an issue, I don't know what you're talking about there.

I've always had issues with his ability to make plays happen off schedule. He isn't successful as often as I'd like for him to be & I've criticized him for giving up on plays too early, too often.

There does appear to be a problem with bright lights & high stakes. I'm just not convinced that he can not step up in those situations. I also don't believe the level of assistance needed from the rest of the team is as high as "we" are saying now.