View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WR catch rate: Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
& you don't see a problem with that?

I don't believe, "That's just the way the Texans run their offense" I think that's the way we "have" to run our offense, until we get a better option at #2 WR.

There is no #1 target, #2 target. Schaub comes to the line, look at the defense & decides then who his #1 option is going to be. Most of the times it's supposed to be Andre, sometimes it's supposed to be Owen, or Arian, but if they don't get the defensive look that they want, it changes & there are rules for how he goes through his progression at that time.

I'm betting if we had a true #2 WR, That position would be his #1 option more often than it is now, because he would expect that WR to get open against more defenses.

If your #2 WR is so far down the list that he's the 5th option, that 4 players get more targets in the passing game.... something is wrong.
But it is.
Before Jacoby, the Texans had Andre Davis; this year, they tried to replace this deep threat with Jean and Posey.

Walter normally is targeted deep on some 24.5 % of the passes thrown his way, AJ some 26%.

AD (34%), Jones (31%), Jean, and Posey are the deep threats.
(Jean and Posey combined for 11 of 26 deep targets - 4 of 14 for Posey and 7 of 12 for Jean.)

This year, due to the inexperience of Jean and Posey, Walter was targeted deep more often (32.4%) with Schaub missing some due to pressure (and a few due to inaccuracy - whether just poor throws or normal difficulty that goes along with a deeper throw.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote