View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: WR catch rate: Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
The important thing to note that while their "Big Three" have more catches/yards than the Texans "Big Three", NE had 100+ more pass attempts than the Texans. That is why I was showing it based on percentages, to normalize the comparison.
The only problem with the "normalizing" argument I have, is that the QB will throw the ball to open receivers more than he would throw to covered receivers.

If the guy is not getting open it affects the percentage, it affects the "normalization"

Quote:
The ball distribution percentages between the Patriots and Texans are very similar. It's just that NE does it a hell of a lot better than the Texans.
I'm talking about more than just distribution, I'm talking about production per catch. It's not that Torry Smith caught more balls than Walter... he did more with those catches.

Imho, Baltimore & New England have a much better WR corps than we do, because they've got multiple play makers. Welker & Lloyd will hurt you in different ways. Boldin & Smith will hurt you in different ways. In 2012, we only had one WR on the field that had any chance of making a play with any regularity. That hurt us. It hurt us in the run game, it hurt us in the passing game, it hurt us in the red zone.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that while the Texans have a similar offense to NE, the Patriots are CLEARLY better in executing it. I want the Texans to get better in what they already do, than to go after another "stud" receiver.
Me too.... I'd like for them to get better at what they do as well, I don't want to ditch the play-book.

But the draft is coming. FA is coming. Why waste an opportunity to add talent to your offense?

Maybe you're thinking we need more help on the OL. & we might. But I liked what I saw from our young guys & they're only going to get better.

I'm worried that Posey isn't going to be the guy we need him to be (because of the injury) in 2013 & I "know" KDub isn't going to get any better.

Quote:
If you look at the Broncos, their "Big Three" stats from a percentage perspective is just like the Texans and Patriots.

Heck, the Ravens had FOUR receivers between 50-65 receptions (and none over 65) and yet are in the Super Bowl. In fact, in a quick check of all of the other playoff teams, only San Fran had the same percentage disparity to their "Big Three" as the Falcons did, and yet their #2 (TE) and #3 (WR) guys caught 42 passes each. And yet, despite catching 20 less balls than the Texans #2 (TE) and #3 (WR), they are in the Super Bowl as well.
Again, with the Ravens.... It's not about how many balls they caught, it's what they did with it. What's more dangerous, two 1000 yard receivers? Or one?

Two makes it more difficult for the defense to "figure you out"

Andre & Walter combine for 2000 yards, where Bolden & Torry Smith combine for 1700. If you were designing a defense to stop these two offenses, which is going to spread you out more? Which one is going to back up your defense more? LBs... deeper, DBs... deeper? Which one opens up the run game more? If I'm facing the Texans, I'm more likely to blitz, because I basically got a free DB running around out there.

Quote:
Again, not saying the Texans can't do what they do in the passing game a whole lot better, starting with the QB position, but there is league wide statistical evidence that the successful teams this year utilized their entire receiving corps a whole lot more than locking into a Big Three.
Then you've misunderstood me. I am not suggesting we lock onto our big three anymore than we do. I'm saying we should get more production from our big three, which will open it up for 4 thru 8, the running backs, the OL, & the QB.
Quote:
I'll say it again, KW is not the reason this offense faltered later in the season. I've always supported Schaub, but it sits on his shoulders. Well, and Dennison for the completely predictable and unimaginative play-calling.
I don't blame Kevin Walter for being Kevin Walter. I blame Posey & Jean for not being able to get on the field sooner. I blame Kubiak for not getting them ready sooner. & I blame Matt Schaub for not getting that chemistry going like it needed to be.

I like Walter, but he's got a place on this team that is defined by his ability & his production, just like Jacoby Jones. They are not #2 WRs, they are #3 WRs.

Show me a #2 that you'd trade KDub for that produces what KDub does. Don't bring me #3 WRs that are younger, show me a #2 that is comparable to Kevin Walter.