View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
This is the way I have seen this offseason since before it was the offseason. I dont get the add more weapons around Schaub approach. It's not like he is capable of utilizing them. Get the defense back to where they were last year by improving the weak area (middle) and look for young players with potential on offense to take over in time. I would like to see an OT with good feet at some point in the draft to groom as a swing tackle.

The OL played better in the playoffs and with more time and a full training camp should be even better next year. This will automatically improve the running game and take pressure of Schaub as will an improved defense.

By giving Schaub more weapons and ignoring the defense we will actually be relying on Schaub more thus adding more pressure on him to be the man. Which we all know he is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
We brought in several defensive players: Manning, JJo, Watt, Reeds, B Harris, Mercilus (2 high paying FAs and 4 draft picks - 2 firsts, and 2 seconds.)

But we took away a couple of veterans on the line.
(B Brook was a third, but haven't played much yet.)
We also lost a vet TE who had developed into a red zone weapon, replacing him with Graham,
a 4th round draft pick (Wade also has Crick and Carmichael, two 4ths, on his unit.)
We replaced our deepest threat with a slower Jean who was so inconsistent downfield that he was replaced by Posey (a 3rd) late in the season.
The 4th that we used on Martin in the slot also failed Schaub several times, dropping 4 passes in very few routes ran, slipped and fell on another, and often got beat to the spot (not being aggressive enough) several times.
We also lost the bruiser Leach, then Vickers.

All these lost on personnel hindered the running game; and in turn, affected the passing game.

I don't even ask for "more", just enough to replace the lost, and the defense still has more fire power than the O.

You know I only rate Schaub somewhere between 11-15, but I must admit, the Texans did not give him enough pieces to function at a high level, capable of truly contending in the play-offs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote